Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jtalbot0001
June 20, 2024, 10:56:01 PM
 Does anybody know anybody who values coins for Treasure Case purposes? Pls msg me. Thanks. Jon.
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My first "Hoard".... and it's Bronze Age!  (Read 3703 times)
jtalbot0001

« on: July 11, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »

I went out to today for a few hours, going in the same field I've been in for the 'N'th time (can't tell you how many times I've actually detected this field, I've said this before). And I started off with finding a broken Silver Brooch (Victorian I would say) ,will post that later, so I started well. I then came across a Roman coin only 10 or so minutes later, that was a shock in itself since it was close to the surface (London Mint so well pleased it being an English Coin!) Then 15 minutes later I got a good signal, I dug down, put my probe in, dug deeper, probe in again, still digging deeper, until I got to the point where I was saying to myself I probably got some iron object as I was that deep! Then I eventually hit the object, fortunately for me I always carry an archaeologists trowl with me, so picking away at the object with damaging it was not a problem. I can tell you at this point I had already spent about 15-20 minutes digging, and it was hot today! After picking away alot of the earth I began to realise what I had stumbled upon! I actually rushed back home to get my paintbrush, I only live down the road, and brought my mother along to see and take photos, and used the paintbush along with my trowl to dig out the Axe Head (I had to dig the hole 4 times as big prior to this as I did not want to damage a thing, in the heat, I was finished by the end of it, and the hole was 30-40 cm deep!), and I found another type of Axe Head, or rather it more like a Hammer, about 15cm away! I would really appreciate if somebody could identify the smaller one, because I cannot find an example. It has a point extendind from it rather than a loop like the Palstave Axe which I assume is the larger one, so not sure of the smaller ones function. And the smaller one is flat ended. I thought I would never ever find an Axe in my life, so so happy. As you can see, not cleaned these, don't intend to, will leave it for the experts!

* Bronze Axe.jpg (176.4 KB, 633x641 - viewed 526 times.)

* Roman1.jpg (48.43 KB, 272x266 - viewed 440 times.)

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
StumbledUpon

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »

Fantastic, well done. Cool
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »

Jon...What can a say I was beginning not to like after continually finding the hammies at the rallies, but now I REALLY don't like you Cheesy And to cap it all off fields I may of detected Cry
Fair play Jon, that is a fantastic result and hopefully makes up for the bike incident. Find of a lifetime and an important one for the village, well done mate Wink
Jassy
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »

ohh wow, thats superb!!!! congratulations!

Everything happens for a reason.....
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:03:31 PM »

there amazing top class finds well done

Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »

Cracking find Jon.

The smaller one may be a mis-cast or a waster with the un-cut pouring spur still attached. It doesnt look like it formed a ring unless it was pulled out in use.

Well done matey.

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins
1 iron age gold
9 Roman Brooches
4 Copper Knobs
30 Buckles
1 med dagger hilt
1 Roman Spoon
2x Silver Gilt Treasure items
Mungo

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:10:57 PM »

Brilliant find  Cool well done
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »

And another thing Mr Greedy, what do you mean "First"? how many are you going to find Grin
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »

Great news. Well done!  Smiley

jtalbot0001

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »

Thanks for everybody's comments! You may have a 'point' there Eric, excuse the pun Smiley Just so happens I got myself a new bike and it's being assembled today at Halfords Geoff! Still wish I could catch the person who took it, walking to work isn't fun at 5 in the morning for 3 miles. And as for the find, you're right Geoff, it is a find of a lifetime! Just keep working the fields you do have guys and girls, that's all I can say. I always joke with my parents and say I am going to find nothing, and yet everytime I come back with at least something, be it at least a button or a coin, no matter how old. Just makes you wonder at the depth these were just how much we all walk over without realising whats underneath our feet.

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »

Very nice. Bet that gave a good signal  Shocked
Makes you wonder how much we miss by not digging everything. Ouch. hurts thinking about it. Roll Eyes

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »

welldone mr talbot..great finds mate so pleased for you mucker..keep it up.
ray.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
nomad

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »

great find ...chef geoff would need alot  of coffee to clean those had he been there.....welldone cracking
shunggav

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »

well done thats lovely find

The chicken came first – God would look silly sitting on an egg...... if u like me add me on facebook........ gavin  warren
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 11:50:20 AM »

A great result Jon - really pleased for you mate.

Looks like a hammer to me - the closest photo I could find is attached below. I am presuming yours is socketed.

I know this will sound daft to ask, but I hope you widened the hole a good distance around you find spot and went as deep as you could? We almost missed a second palstave on a DW Rally once until we did that. I now have visions of you cycling back to the farm with the wind in your Heels!

See you Saturday

Neil

* 018063.jpg (28.7 KB, 430x286 - viewed 480 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal