Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jtalbot0001
June 20, 2024, 10:56:01 PM
 Does anybody know anybody who values coins for Treasure Case purposes? Pls msg me. Thanks. Jon.
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Linked Rallies
  • DW Rally - Rooksbridge: July 16, 2011

• Signups have closed
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Signup - Detecting Wales Rally in Rooksbridge  (Read 15748 times)
Rambo
Rally attendee

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 06:56:46 PM »

Yes please I want to go .thanks rambo
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »

Today in my afternoon break I took a trip up to Saturdays Rally site to check everything is OK, It was over two years ago that we had our first rally on this land and I have to admit when I saw it on that first rally my heart sank, miles from anywhere and out on the levels, I thought by the end of the day DetectingWales may experience it's first riot Grin
Well was I in for a shock and a nice one at that, by the end of the day the rally goers had amassed 13 hammered coins plus 3(?) milled silver coins and I had found the best hammy I have ever found infact thinking back I think most of the hammies came up unviolated by the plough.
The vast majority of these finds came from a large 25 acre field in the middle of the site. Since that first visit we have held two further rallies bringing the total hammy count up to 30, BUT on the last two occasions we have not been able to get back on the most productive field.
That is until now and it looks about as perfect as you can get, it has been ploughed twice since it was last detected and is now under grass which has been cut and still quite sparse.
After that first visit I burnt the midnight oil trying to fathom out "why" so many coins were turning up in the middle of nowhere, but to no avail. There was not even a mention on the local HER, but  a few months ago the records were updated and I can tell you that within half a mile in three directions there are abandoned medieval settlement sites, also this Saturdays rally field had a "Pill" or canal from the sea cut through it and at this point it met the canal to Glastonbury which the monks built in the 11th century, so it could of been more or less a port.
While I was there this afternoon I took a walk in some other fields which bound the other side of the canal (now just a Rhyne) where they had dumped the dredging's from the regular drainage maintenance they carry out around the levels.
The amount and quality of the pottery that is there is quite impressive most of the obvious pieces are Staffordshire slipware and dates from the mid 17th century but in amongst this is some very early medieval pottery and while I wouldn't go as far as saying it IS Saxon it's not to far away.
So Good luck to all that are attending and if you are, like me Minelabbing it, remember SLOW AND LOW, those hammies are there and just waiting to be found.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:39:47 AM by Chef Geoff » Logged
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »

Nice write up Geoff.

Any machine, where you suspect hammies, the rule is slow and low. 

nomad

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »

ohhh chef geoff you are tempting me to throw a sicky and detect instead of work.......
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »

Go on Paul, you know you want too Roll Eyes
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »

Tantalising report Cheffy!

Can't wait for Saturday.

Well done mate
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »

Nice write up Geoff.

Sorry Bob I wasn't excluding other machines it's just you don't have to go quite as slowwwwww as we do lol
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »

Nice write up Geoff.

Sorry Bob I wasn't excluding other machines it's just you don't have to go quite as slowwwwww as we do lol

Modern technology enables one to go a little faster and deeper  Wink

Markey Sparkey
Rally attendee

Soo much Iron and so little time!!

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »

me me me please
Markey Sparkey
Rally attendee

Soo much Iron and so little time!!

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »

Got a lift sorted.Always wanted to try a rally.Yes please include me!! thanks.. Grin
metalman
Rally attendee

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 05:57:43 AM »

Can you add me please
wayneyboy38
Rally attendee

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 07:56:03 AM »

hi rob please put me down for this one ta
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »

Any more members wishing to join us - add yourselves to this post.

The directions will be PM'd this evening.

See you tomorrow
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »

Just one more bit of useless information, on that first rally 13 silver coins appeared but there was only 39 members that turned up so that's a one in three chance not bad odds at all.

Plus a snippet at the quality of finds on this site. Sorry to those who are seeing it again and again and again lol
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:18:46 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Jassy
Superhero Member

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »

dribbling......... nice coin mr.geoff

Everything happens for a reason.....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal