Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jtalbot0001
June 20, 2024, 10:56:01 PM
 Does anybody know anybody who values coins for Treasure Case purposes? Pls msg me. Thanks. Jon.
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: dillema  (Read 4857 times)
Whiteduke

« on: July 06, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »

I just rang a farmer who i was pointed to by a good friend of his, with regards permission.
He said i could detect by all means BUT will i have a problem in the fact that someone else
has permission on the farm already.

I told him i haven't a problem with that,but how would you feel if you were the other guy?

has anyone got a shared permission? if so,does it work OK.

its a big farm BTW ,real big.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 01:29:44 PM by Whiteduke » Logged
imnotginger

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »

Maybe get together and become detecting bubbys  Roll Eyes at the end of the day its the farmers land as long as he,s ok with to of you going on then i dont see the problem ( thats just me )
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »

i would ask the farmer if hes got contact details for whoever tects it ,,,some guys get farms do em once or twice then move on or maybe you could team up with the other guy,,,but i wouldent go on there without trying to find out who already tects it as that can lead to all sorts of problems.

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
doddy10

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »

The farmer owns the land, if he is happy for you to detect on it, then why should another detectorist, especially if you do not know them have any objections ?? It is NOT our land the landowners are free to invite whoever they want to.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »

Absolutely agree with doddy 10. If you approach a farmer and he's happy for you to detect then its nothing to do with any other detectorist out there. Too many detectorists get a little Golem over the land they use.

Its different if a mate takes you to a farm and then you ask for permission, thats a no no.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Whiteduke

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 02:52:16 PM »

"but i wouldent go on there without trying to find out who already tects it "

theres a problem with that,the farm is not local,i also have a detecting buddy.
I don't want to ring the farmer back for details of the detectorist already there.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »

i agree with you rob ,,,but ive been on the other end when a well know club has detetected my land knowing full well that i was tectin it then having the cheek to tell me to ahem go away  Grin,,

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 02:56:55 PM »

I'm with NFL lol. I would check if this other detectorist actually detects the land and if so how often. There are some who collect land, to such an extent they can't possibly hope to detect it in 10 lifetimes.

I have a few farms that "some guy did 2 years ago" and that doesn't bother me, but I may think twice if the land was receiving a weekly visit. Wink

If you want to make contact but can't and won't detect the land without then move on, simple.
Whiteduke

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »

Oh ,I'm definitely going ,i just wanted a general census on what people thought or have experienced
in such cases.
avalon

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »

I’ve got loads of land, and I’ve always avoided other peoples sites up until now, but I’ve had so many problems over the last few years of people actively hunting my sites down, I now think I’ll join them on theirs. At least it will be during the day with the farmers permission.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:33:46 PM by avalon » Logged

nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »

ive got a few farms here in wet  Grin herefordshire and its nice that several guys on this site pm me if there after permission for a farm in herefordshire that i may tect on ,,i can say ive never been on anybodys farm where someone is already tectin ,,and if you know a sites being tected makes sense to ask by who ,,as geoff  says if someone else has been tectin said site every week for ages ,youll save youirselves a lot of legwork Grin

2012 finds
29 hammys
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
14thc ring broac
avalon

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »

What I have found is some people are far too lazy to get their own sites, so rather than do the leg work themselves, they home in on other peoples productive sites. They first make out there your best mate, take you for a drink or two, constantly making notes of things you say. Then head back home to check out the site details on Google, before returning at night or during the day in some instances.

Now genuinely turning up on a site out of the blue will happen as there are only so many farms out there, it’s the parasites I detest. Embarrassed

waltonbasinman
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »

It,s a difficult one to get right. NFL, CHEF and Avalon are all correct but it has come to my attention how we are sometimes blind to permissions as well. I got myself a couple of farms originally which like all farms had good days and bad days with varying interest from the landowner. What I was,nt prepared for was the fact that gaining trust from some landowners and passing on finds has bought a lot of other offers of which some has detecting permission already granted. I got permission from a farm between Ludlow and Craven Arms and on my first visit halfway through the day a large chap approached me rather verbally and although I am a big lad he put me back a pace. When I calmed him down and said I had permission it transpired he asked about three years ago and had never been on the fields. Even though the farmer had invited me he did not tell me others had permissions as well even though I,d asked. At the end of the day a few farms should keep a detectorist happy for a life time but when you gain a permission try and find all the details., but those who target rich find farms of the back of others should in the least be named and shamed.
cardiffian

Minelab Explorer, Deus

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »

There's another side to this as well. It could be that the farmer has never been shown any finds by the other detectorist. He is left wondering why? Or alternatively he thinks there isn't anything to be found. Either way he feels he has nothing to lose by allowing you on. It is all about keeping your farmers sweet and if that guy isn't doing that he can't complain.

I agree you need to speak to him out of courtesy, before you go on. He may raise objections but you can rest assured he will stop short of saying he doesn't want you on there. To do so would risk him falling fowl of the landowner and losing the site completely. However he takes it, you go on afterwards regardless happy in the knowledge that you have done right!

Hammered                 5         
Roman bronze          10
William 111 shilling
Disc brooches             2
Med. silver annular brooch
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 06:47:08 PM »

speak to the other guy,he might be a tidy bloke and tell you some tips,we aint all asses.some off us are cool and friendly,give the farmer a bottle of his favourate tipple now and again and show him your green coins lol

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal