Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jtalbot0001
June 20, 2024, 10:56:01 PM
 Does anybody know anybody who values coins for Treasure Case purposes? Pls msg me. Thanks. Jon.
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol mint hammereds  (Read 51714 times)
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »

if i ever do want to sell i would surely let it go to you,having such a local interest.

Thanks Nonker Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2015, 11:26:32 PM »

LOL but how do they know that it was struck in Bristol that's my point?
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2015, 11:45:41 PM »

LOL but how do they know that it was struck in Bristol that's my point?

I could do with a time machine right now lol Cheesy Records everything being struck at the mint is recorded, it was William Sharington at the time but he was found to be fiddling the books anyway, so even he could of been in on it Grin Wink
Dryland
Superhero Member

Keeper of the Lights

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2015, 12:25:37 AM »

Why don't you just ask Doug, as he was probably around when the coins were first struck Grin Grin Grin

If money is the root of all evil,why can't we spend parsnips ?
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2015, 09:38:35 AM »

I was looking at iding some Edward I pennies yesterday (one of which is a Bristol class 2b btw) and reading about the centralisation of mint production.

Quite often you will see comments like 'York mint, local dies' - i.e the majority of the coins had the dies made in London and then sent to the local mint centres for striking - it allows for the authorities to have better control of quality and design than say in Henry II's time. Of course there are privy and other marks (often beside the actual mint name) that indicate who was 'in charge' of striking these coins - you would still need to be able to look at what was being produced.

In these circumstances, it's quite easy to see how a mistake was made where a specifically London obverse might be sent out in error to a local mint, and it would take some time for someone to notice and rectify the mistake (by sending out the correct die).

There's also comments that the die were stored in a loose-box arrangement - so you would have a number of obverse and reverse die which you would pick out of a box and pair up, hence mules and different obverse and reverse die combinations.

As Dale said there are also lots of records (somewhere) about production - again yesterday I was reading that some 50,000 pounds of silver Irish pennies were struck in the late 1200's - so from that you can work out that some 12 million were struck - it might even be possible to try and work out a survival rate for these (1 in a thousand would mean there are 12,000 available for collectors for instance).
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2015, 10:46:07 AM »

Thanks Roland and Dale I've just been doing some reading up and I notice that the Henry VIII isn't "that"unusual so my apologies for as I said my lack of knowledge here as I assumed it was in the same class as the Edward VI, I also read that Bristol was at this time the only mint other than the Tower to have its own engraver but as you say Dale that William Sharington was a "wrong un"  Grin amazingly for the time he not only kept his head after being involved with the Seymour plot but went on to bigger and better things........Who says crime doesn't pay?lol
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2015, 07:49:39 PM »

Thanks Roland and Dale I've just been doing some reading up and I notice that the Henry VIII isn't "that"unusual so my apologies for as I said my lack of knowledge here as I assumed it was in the same class as the Edward VI, I also read that Bristol was at this time the only mint other than the Tower to have its own engraver but as you say Dale that William Sharington was a "wrong un"  Grin amazingly for the time he not only kept his head after being involved with the Seymour plot but went on to bigger and better things........Who says crime doesn't pay?lol

You right Geoff the Henry VIII isn't that unusual, you will see about 50 WS monograms to 1-3 TC they're rarer Wink
One thing I did find out today from my mate who also just found out is, when the Bristol mint closed down (not sure of the date iv just ordered the books) the workers were employed by the London mint, and the dyes were also taken there, it said something about the striking of Bristol and London city mules, il up date the post next week when they arrive.

I added this penny to the collection this week, its been a hard one to get in any condition iv only seen one other for sale but its a little over priced for the condition its in, this one was in a job lot of 5 and not listed as a Bristol, its a little weak on the obverse but its very debased silver Wink

* 001.JPG (132.52 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 840 times.)

* 003.JPG (146.03 KB, 900x768 - viewed 817 times.)
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2015, 08:08:55 PM »

It closed in March 1550 I only know that from this paper which I thought was quite interesting in it's intrique Wink
http://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/pdfs/1981_BNJ_51_7.pdf
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2015, 08:23:39 PM »

Cheers for the link Geoff I haven't come across that one Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2015, 06:59:40 PM »

I was looking at iding some Edward I pennies yesterday (one of which is a Bristol class 2b btw) and reading about the centralisation of mint production.

Quite often you will see comments like 'York mint, local dies' - i.e the majority of the coins had the dies made in London and then sent to the local mint centres for striking - it allows for the authorities to have better control of quality and design than say in Henry II's time. Of course there are privy and other marks (often beside the actual mint name) that indicate who was 'in charge' of striking these coins - you would still need to be able to look at what was being produced.

In these circumstances, it's quite easy to see how a mistake was made where a specifically London obverse might be sent out in error to a local mint, and it would take some time for someone to notice and rectify the mistake (by sending out the correct die).

There's also comments that the die were stored in a loose-box arrangement - so you would have a number of obverse and reverse die which you would pick out of a box and pair up, hence mules and different obverse and reverse die combinations.

As Dale said there are also lots of records (somewhere) about production - again yesterday I was reading that some 50,000 pounds of silver Irish pennies were struck in the late 1200's - so from that you can work out that some 12 million were struck - it might even be possible to try and work out a survival rate for these (1 in a thousand would mean there are 12,000 available for collectors for instance).

Roland I bought 3 new books about the Bristol Mint there excellent!! It says for the Thomas Chamberlain coinage of 1549, ninety-six-dozen coining irons were bought Shocked from the Tower mint for seven shillings per dozen.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2015, 08:58:39 PM »

That's quite a stack of coining irons! - I wonder how long it took for them to get made?

What are the books on the Bristol mint called?

On a separate note I fairly recently acquired a class 2 Bristol farthing - I'll post some images when I've found it Smiley
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2015, 09:17:03 PM »

That's quite a stack of coining irons! - I wonder how long it took for them to get made?

What are the books on the Bristol mint called?

On a separate note I fairly recently acquired a class 2 Bristol farthing - I'll post some images when I've found it Smiley

Cheers Roland Wink

The books are called The Bristol Mint by L.V. Grinsell 1962.....1972....1986 all for £11.50 inc postage very cheep ://www.galata.co.uk they have a few more copies about £2.50 for both Wink The early square Bristol farthing I posted awhile back I learnt there was 86,400 struck Shocked so there not that rare lol

Here's the new one Smiley

* 011.JPG (78.38 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 701 times.)

* 012.JPG (83.91 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 681 times.)
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »

Dale would these have been blanks as Bristol had its own engraver? 7d each sound quite cheap given that a skilled labourer could earn 1/- a day.
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2015, 09:28:44 PM »

Dale would these have been blanks as Bristol had its own engraver? 7d each sound quite cheap given that a skilled labourer could earn 1/- a day.

Il look into it more Geoff, im not sure if Chamberlain had his own engraver its not mentioned?

Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »

I've just looked at dates and there must have been a lot of unused irons about as Chamberlayne took over in December 1548 and the last coins were struck in October 1549 so just 10 months and the closure was planned back in June 1548 4 months before he started......ummm more skulduggery Grin

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal