Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jtalbot0001
June 20, 2024, 10:56:01 PM
 Does anybody know anybody who values coins for Treasure Case purposes? Pls msg me. Thanks. Jon.
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New farm in the VOG and a very unusual piece of silver 29/08/09  (Read 4573 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: August 29, 2009, 05:26:28 PM »

After some household chores I popped up to the glorious VOG today to go to a farm I hadn't been to for over a year (Jaydogg & Mark will know the one}. The reason I went there was because believe it or not I dreamt about the farm last night. Being a big believe in Lucid Dreaming, and seeing as my dream had me digging everywhere I took it as an omen - and do you know what I was bloody right!

When I got to the farm I found the farmer immediately and his first response before I could utter a word was "Bloody Hell - I was talking about you last night!" How odd I hadn't seen him in a year I dreamt of his farm and it turns out he was talking about me - its turning into a strange day! Roll Eyes  It transpired that a relative of his had passed away and they were holding some kind of wake on the the relatives farm today. He said he had mentioned me as the guy who died has never allowed anyone bar family on his farm for shooting, rabbiting or detecting, and he thought it would be ideal for me to go to. With that he jumps in my Landy and is saying come on we will go there now! Within 10 minutes we are at the farm and I have been introduced to about 8 different people and they are quite happy for me to have a spin on their land.

Had a quick go and found about 15 Georgian and Victorian coppers, RAF button and grotty Roman Sestertious. Popped back to the farm to show that I had found and they were all astounded by the Roman coin. Naturally I gave it to them and in return was told to come and go as I wish and that the farm is over 100 acres of pasture! By now I was almost ready to faint. We jumped in the Landy again and I was given a tour of the land which stretches all over the place and shown which fields I could use - which was basically all of them! Swapped numbers with the new owner and went off for another spin.

Couple more coppers, then a lovely signal and out pops a Silver American Seated Half Dime dated 1838! What an odd find to turn up. Just did a quick Google and it turns out that the 1838 is quite a rare coin and predates the American Civil War by 24 years! What the Hell is that doing in a field in the VOG?

Next came a copper finger ring that has been gilded at some point. A lovely button with a very unusual design. A strange biece of bronze that for all the world reminds me of a votive axe head and finally another bronze wotsit (possibly a cufflink}.

A great day out and enough land to keep me happy for a long, long time.

See dreams do come true!
Cheers
Neil
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 05:34:01 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »

Bronze bits.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:47:17 PM »

well done Neil,good report again as always ,nice the dime yes whats it doing there !!,like the ring thats nice button is a nice one,great photos of your finds ,as you said that land you got will keep you going and going and going for sure,well done on your good day Wink
mole
Superhero Member

R.A.R.E- FID -DW MEMBER -SE /GOLDMAXX /

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »

Nice finding !! Neil Wink all you need to do now is dream of them silurian gold staters Shocked Grin

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 06:17:41 PM »

Well done fella , nice finds all round there land and coins!  Wink

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
DIG IT! (ADIE)

X-TERRA 70 user explorer 11

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 06:25:52 PM »

Great day neil nice finds and a big chunk of land now thats what i call a good day mate Grin

Heavy metal nut that digs loads of iron
vitallius (Dave)

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:30:09 PM »

Good on ya Neil, very nice Grin good luck with the rest of all that land.......Dave
hedgehog
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 06:37:57 PM »

Well done Neil , plenty to go at now! Is the last item a knife end stop?
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »

Thanks lads for the comments. I posted the Half Dime on an American Forum I have been a member of for years and it looks like it sould be quite valuable and a scarce coin to find in the US. I am waiting for the final appraisal.

Good thinking Hog - might well be a knife terminal - not sure at the moment.

Cheers
Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

hedgehog
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »

I know you don't read links Neil but read this one it's all about the coin!

http://www.coinlink.com/CoinGuide/us-type-coins/liberty-seated-half-dime-no-stars-1837-1838/
simon c

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »

Well done Neil,that half dime is nice,may have been from a salior visiting home,or a wealthy VOG land owner with assets in America  Grin
waltonbasinman
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 07:14:21 PM »

Neil, I have seen that top Bronze wotsit before but can not remember where. I am pretty sure it is Roman. but cannot think what. I have my books out as we speak. Will let you know.
Mark

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »

Nice one m8 it sounds like this land is undetected, something of a rarity in the VOG, especailly if its near the farm im thinking of.  A good day all around well done. 

Omnia explorate; meliora retinete (BTKG)
DIGGA

MINELAB EXPLORER XS USER

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 07:42:47 PM »

WELL DONE ON THE FINDS NEIL  AND FOR GETTING THE NEW LAND ,,, WEIRD ABOUT THE DREAM THO   GOOD JOB I DIDENT GET OUT  DETECTING TODAY  COS IF I DID  THERE WOULD BE THE GIRLS ALOUD  DRESSED ,,,,,,   AHEM  ,,,,, NEVER MIND   !!!    LOL   Grin Grin    ANYWAY  GREAT FINDS BUD    LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER  GREAT AREA   Grin Grin Wink Wink

dont dig deep if ya aint heard the beep
1morecoin
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 07:59:40 PM »

That's a new one, I have found a French coin and a couple of German coins but no US coinage, lovely coin though Neil.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal