Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jtalbot0001
June 20, 2024, 10:56:01 PM
 Does anybody know anybody who values coins for Treasure Case purposes? Pls msg me. Thanks. Jon.
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Feathers is not Welsh.  (Read 4452 times)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« on: March 11, 2009, 05:11:50 PM »

Interesting passage , not the rantings of a Xenophobic maniac , theres quite a bit of literature on the subject. I've cut and pasted this article.

Three Feathers, Two Fingers

Before I'm accused of being xenophobic, I want to make it clear that I'm not against the English per se — in fact, some of my best friends are English — but I do have a problem living with the iconographic litter left over from 600 years of English hegemony.

The three feathers emblem is a classic case in point. It's the badge of our rugby team and therefore the focal point of our national pride. And yet it's the brand of the English ruler's son.

In case you didn't already know, the three feathers came from the arms of Philippa of Hainault, the French mother of the mostly-French Black Prince (1330 - 1376), so called because he wore blackened armour.

The motto 'Ich Dien', was added later and is perfectly ordinary German for 'I serve'. Not even the solemnity of Latin, you'll notice. It came from the arms of the King of Bohemia.

The Black Prince was the first Englishman/Frenchman to usurp the title 'Prince of Wales'. He didn't use the three feathers arms in battle though. For the serious stuff he apparently used the French royal fleur-de-lys. He used the three feathers when he was jousting; in other words, while he was having a laugh.

Charles Windsor's personal royal arms don't include the Red Dragon but they do have lots of lions, fleurs-de-lys and a harp. An Irish harp. His Welsh Standard — he has a flag for every purpose it seems — which is supposedly based on the flag of Llewellyn and the Welsh royal house of Gwynedd, has lots of lions too, but no dragon. In case you don't salute Charles' standard every morning, there is a little green shield in the middle with his crown on it. Apparently the green symbolises Wales.

Whatever title they give the fella — Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland — Charles is not a Welsh prince.

He might do a lot for charity but he's certainly not God's gift to the Welsh nation. On the contrary, Wales is God's gift to him, even if only in a symbolic sense, as it was to his forbears, yea, back until the middle ages.

Anyway... this is a very long explanation to justify our infringement of someone else's trademark. Since the three feathers is the brand of the oppressor, and we've subverted it and used it in an ironic context, we figured we'd probably get away with it. After all, if he doesn't like it he can sue us, can't he? Oh, he can't sue us? Shame.

In place of the traditional German motto, our use of the expression 'Twll d”n pob sais' — 'down with the English' it says in the Oxford Geiriadur Cymraeg — is purely for ironic effect and is not meant to imply nor countenance racist sentiment.

It's clearly not right to think of all Englishmen as arseholes, especially as it's not really their fault. The princes and their mams and das have kept the English under the thumb for longer than they have the Welsh.

The two-fingered gesture known as the 'V sign' is said to have originated with Welsh bowmen fighting for their French king against France's French king during the 100 years war. The French authorities decreed that if the bowmen were caught, their right index and middle fingers — those used to loose the arrow — would be cut off. In defiance, the Welshmen apparently gestured towards the enemy telling him forcibly in what manner to go away.

At the battle of Crécy in 1346, Welshmen apparently made the gesture after they had slaughtered nearly 10,000 French and Genoese troops for the loss of only 40 on their own side. Ironically, this was the very same battle in which the French ally, the King of Bohemia, he of the 'I serve' motto, lost his life.

http://www.thereddragonhood.com/pages/feathers.html

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
Charles Cater
Moderators permissions

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:33:59 PM »

Is it not time that the Welsh elected their own prince. A DNA test should find some relative of Llewellyn's. How about starting with Rhodri? Roll Eyes

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/
llanelli club
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »

who cares we are a principality which is not owned by english but was ruled to be scotish aunder last lawful statement of a king james 1st/james5th scotland
so feather are out are leeks first welsh war emblem wasn't that the case.
does it matter when it looks good on the forum and not many of us care that much about rubish that carried on befgore we became civilised enough not to kill each other day in day out over land sand and properties .
ok its not welsh nobody is we were all from french origin so dna seems to show.`
SO WHAT DO WE DO KNOW..........
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »

he he he nicely put. We're all mongrels Grin

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal